- Ensure that all persons aged 7 through 18 years without "evidence of immunity" have 2 doses of the vaccine.
- For children aged 12 months through 12 years, the recommended minimum interval between doses is 3 months. However, if the second dose was administered at least 4 weeks after the first dose, it can be accepted as valid.
- For persons aged 13 years and older, the minimum interval between doses is 4 weeks.
- For persons without evidence of immunity, administer 2 doses if not previously vaccinated or the second dose if only 1 dose has been administered.
"Evidence of immunity" to varicella includes any of the following:
- Documentation of age-appropriate vaccination with a varicella vaccine.
- Laboratory evidence of immunity or laboratory confirmation of disease.
- Diagnosis or verification of a history of varicella disease by a health-care provider.
- Diagnosis or verification of a history of herpes zoster by a health-care provider.